Georgia State, GA
Search Marriage Records
State of Georgia
Marriage License Requirements
Georgia Code Title 19. Domestic Relations Chapter 3. Marriage Generally
Marriage License Fees:
$56 – w/o Premarital Ed.
+ $20 Certified copy
$16 – w/ Premarital Ed.
+ $20 Certified copy
Marriage Law Requirements for Georgia Marriage Licenses:
- Both applicants must be 18 years of age or older to apply for a marriage license without parental consent.
- Both applicants must appear in person to complete the application for a marriage license.
- Both applicants must provide proper identification.
- Premarital blood tests are no longer required under Georgia law.
- There is no waiting period for getting married in Georgia.
- Applicants can apply for a marriage license in any county Probate Court in Georgia, provided at least one of the applicants is a resident of the State of Georgia.
- If neither applicant is a resident of the State of Georgia, the couple must apply in the county in which the ceremony is to be performed.
- The Georgia marriage license does not have an expiration date.
- Georgia marriage license fees are $56 without Premarital Education completed. $16 with Premarital Education. There is a $10 charge for the certified copy of the marriage license, which is mailed to the applicants after recording, and a $10 fee for the certified copy of the license application for the Social Security Administration.
Please check with your local county Probate Court for more details.
Ask a Lawyer Online Now! 24 Lawyers Are Online. Ask a Question, Get an Answer ASAP.
Georgia Marriage License Laws Requirements:
Marriage Application Requirement Georgia: ✔ Get Copy Of Birth Certificate
To complete the application for a marriage license, a couple must:
Things to bring and know on the marriage license application…
- ID for each Applicant
- Certified Copies of Divorce Papers if you have been Married
- Certified Copy of Death Certificate if you are Widowed
- Parents Birth Place (City and State)
- Mother’s Maiden Name
- The Bride’s full name after Marriage
- Date and place of marriage
- If either applicant does not speak fluent English a Court Approved Translator will be required to apply for Marriage License.
Be sure to contact your local county Probate Court well in advance of the wedding to find out on what days and during what hours the Clerk will be in the office. Some locales may require an appointment.
Marriage ID Requirement Georgia:
- Drivers License
- State ID
- Resident Alien ID
- Military ID
Marriage Waiting Period Georgia:
There is no waiting period for getting married in the State of Georgia.
Marriage Residency Requirement Georgia:
You do not have to be a resident of Georgia. However, if not a resident, you must apply in the county where your marriage is to be performed.
If either applicant has received a divorce, he, she or both must show a copy of the final judgment and decree of most recent divorce. It must show the judge’s signature and date divorce was granted (19-3-2 (3)).
Marriage License Fees Georgia:
Marriage license fees in the State of Georgia are $56 without Premarital Education completed. $16 with Premarital Education. There is a $10 charge for the certified copy of the marriage license, which is mailed to the applicants after recording, and a $10 fee for the certified copy of the license application for the Social Security Administration. Some counties require payment in cash only. Please check with your local county Probate Court.
Proxy Marriages Georgia:
Cousin Marriages Georgia:
Yes. First and second cousins may legally marry in Georgia.
Common Law Marriages Georgia:
No. However, common-law marriages will be recognized in Georgia if it was created before January 1, 1997.
Marriage Blood Test Georgia:
As of July 1, 2003, blood tests were no longer required in Georgia.
It is important that you verify all information with your local county Probate Court before making a trip to purchase your marriage license.
Name After Marriage:
Georgia law requires each applicant to designate the legal surname he or she will use after marriage. The applicant may choose:
- His or her present surname.
- The surname of a previous marriage.
- Spouse’s surname.
- A surname as provided in line item 1 or 2 of this paragraph in conjunction with the surname of the other spouse (19-3-33.1 (b)).
Getting a marriage license with your new name on it does not mean your name has automatically changed. If you need to change your last name, you can use an online marriage name change kit.
Marriage Age Requirements Georgia: ✔ Get Copy Of Birth Certificate
- Both applicants must be 18 years of age or older to apply for a marriage license without parental consent. Proof of age must be presented by every applicant who does not appear to the judge or clerk to be at least 25 years of age.
- If either applicant is 16 or 17 years of age, a license may be issued only with the written consent of the parent or parents of the underage applicant. No license may be issued if either applicant is under the age of 16.
- As of July 1, 2006, the pregnancy of a female applicant no longer authorizes the issuance of a license to a 16 or 17 year old without consent.
Marriage Proof of Age Georgia: ✔ Get Copy Of Birth Certificate
Georgia law requires proof of age be presented at the time of making application. By law, acceptable proof of age is any of the following:
- Birth certificate.
- Driver’s license.
- Baptismal certificate.
- Certificate of birth registration.
- Selective service card.
- Court record.
- Iimmigration papers
- Alien papers.
- Citizenship papers.
- Armed forces discharge papers
- Armed forces identification card
- Hospital admission card — containing the full name and date of birth (19-3-36).
Marriage Officiants Georgia:
Licensed or ordained ministers, clergymen, or pastors of recognized religious societies, and justices of the peace.
Marriage Witnesses Georgia:
Only if the person performing the ceremony does not complete the form, you will need two witnesses to the ceremony in order to obtain the marriage certificate.
Expiration Date of Marriage License Georgia:
The Georgia marriage license does not have an expiration date.
Apply online today here! Georgia Probate Record website will allow you to apply for your Marriage License online!
2600 Skyland Drive NE
Atlanta, GA 30319-3640
Ph: (404) 679-4701
Please Note: State and county marriage license requirements often change. The above information is for guidance only and should not be regarded as legal advice. For more information regarding Georgia marriage license laws please visit www.georgia.gov.