State of Washington Marriage License, WA
State of Washing marriage license fee is $20 to $50, varing by county. Legal marriage age is 18, minimum age is 17 w/consent. No blood test. 3-day waiting period.
State of Washington
Marriage License Requirements
- The fee for a Washing State marriage license varies by county and is required at the time of application.
- Minimum age to marry is (18).
- Waiting Period: There’s a (3) waiting period.
- License Validity Time: (60) Days.
- Blood Test: Not Required.
- Residency: Not Required.
- Couples planning to getting married in the state of Washington may be obtained a wedding license from any county seat (County Auditor’s) office in Washington State.
- Marriage license fees varies by county. Also, the marriage certificate will be recorded in the county in which the license was applied for.
- Witnesses: Witnesses are not necessary to apply for a license, but state law requires that at least two witnesses be present at the ceremony. Witnesses should be at least 12 years of age.
Local Wedding Officiants for your wedding or vow renewal ceremony. Submit one form to top-rated marriage officiants in your locality. You choose the best Wedding Officiant.
Ask a Lawyer Online Now! 24 Lawyers Are Online. Ask a Question, Get an Answer ASAP.
Marriage Application Requirement Washington: ✔ Get Copy Of Birth Certificate
To complete the application for a marriage license, a couple must:
The applicants must complete an application and both applicants must sign the application before a notary public or deputy Auditor. A Power of Attorney may not be used as a substitute.
- One or both parties need to appear in person for marriage license application, there is an alternative method enabling absentee application via mail. Please contact your local County Auditor’s office at least one month prior to the wedding for details.
- Both applicants must be currently unmarried.
- Both applicants must be at least 18 years of age or older.
- Government issued picture identification is required showing birth date.
- The applicants cannot be nearer of kin to each other than second cousins, whole or half blood.
- A marriage license purchased from any county in Washington State can be used to get married anywhere in Washington State. The permanent record of the marriage certificate will be recorded with the county from which the marriage license was purchased.
- To expedite the process complete the application online then visit the County Auditor’s office to finalize the license.
Marriage ID Requires in WA Marriage License laws Requirements:
Government issued picture identification is required showing birth date.
- Driver’s License
- State issued ID card
- US Military ID
- US Passport
- US Passport Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- Foreign Gov’t issued Passport
Marriage Waiting Period Requirement:
- There is a mandatory 3-day (calendar day) waiting period before the license becomes valid.
- The 3 day waiting period begins the day you sign the application and pay the license fee. For example, if an application is made on Wednesday, the first day the marriage license can be used is Saturday.
- The 3 day waiting period cannot be waived.
Marriage Residency Requirement:
Applicants do not have to be residents of the State of Washington to obtain a marriage license.
- Proof of divorce from a previous spouse, or death of a spouse, is not required to obtain a marriage license. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the final decree of divorce is filed before applying for a new marriage license.
- If in a domestic partnership a marriage application can be obtained ONLY if the parties to the marriage are the same as the parties to the state registered domestic partnership.
Marriage License Fees under WA Marriage License laws Requirements:
The marriage license fees varies from Washington county to county, so call ahead to your local County Auditor’s office to find out the fee and ask what form of payment is accepted. In some cases, you may need to bring cash.
No. However, if both of you cannot apply for your marriage license application at the same time, you may be able to apply through an Absentee Marriage Application. Contact your local County Auditor’s office for more information about this option.
Common Law Marriages:
Marriage Blood Test Washington:
Blood tests and physical exams are not required to obtain a marriage license.
Getting a marriage license with your new name on it does not mean your name has automatically changed. If you need to change your last name, you can use an online marriage name change kit.
Marriage Age Requirements: ✔ Get Copy Of Birth Certificate
- Applicants 16 years or under must have written waiver from Juvenile Court signed by a Superior Court Judge, as well as written permission of a parent or guardian. Parental or guardian permission must be sworn to and signed before a notary public or deputy auditor.
- Applicants who are 17 years of age must have written permission by one parent or legal guardian. Such consent must be sworn to and signed before a notary public or deputy auditor.
- Applicants under the age of 17 must apply to the Juvenile Court system in order to obtain a license.
Marriage Officiants Washington:
State law prescribes who can perform a marriage ceremony: active and retired Supreme Court justices, Court of Appeals judges, Superior Court judges, Superior Court commissioners, and judges of courts of limited jurisdiction, as well as any regularly licensed or ordained minister or priest of any church or religious denomination. See RCW 26.04.050 for a complete list.
Ministers from any state may perform marriage ceremonies, but the ceremony must be performed in the State of Washington. Couples may not officiate their own ceremony.
Witnesses are not necessary to apply for a license, but state law requires that at least two witnesses be present at the ceremony. Witnesses should be at least 12 years of age.
Expiration Date of Marriage License:
- The Marriage License is valid for 60 days following the 3 day waiting period.
- The marriage license is void and non-transferable if the marriage does not take place within 60 days of issue.
Washington Dept. of Health
Center for Health Statistics
P.O. Box 9709
Please Note: State and county marriage license requirements often change. The above information is for guidance only and should not be regarded as legal advice. For more information regarding Washington marriage license records and laws please visit www.doh.wa.gov.