San Luis Obispo County Marriage License, CA
San Luis Obispo County
Marriage License Requirements
Public license Fee: $100
Confidential License Fee: $100
1055 Monterey St., Rm. D120
San Luis Obispo, CA 93408
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. / M – F
(except for Court Approved Holidays)
Marriage License Issuing Office
6565 Capistrano Avenue
(2nd Flr. Atascadero Library)
Atascadero, CA 93422
7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. / M – F
(except for Court Approved Holidays)
Ask a Lawyer Online Now! 24 Lawyers Are Online. Ask a Question, Get an Answer ASAP.
Application: Public | Confidential
Note: You may complete these applications although when you arrive in the office you will need to transfer the information to the Marriage Kiosk.
- Applicants must be 18 years or older
- Before a marriage license can be issued, First Person and Second Person must bring in a valid photo I.D. with birth date (e.g., drivers license, military I.D., passport, or green card, etc.)
- Confidential License only– the parties must declare under penalty of perjury that they have been living together as spouses.
- Licenses are issued in both offices and no appointment is necessary.
- In the Atascadero office, both parties must be present by 3:30 P.M. and in San Luis Obispo both parties must be present in the office by 4:30 P.M.
- When you arrive in the office, you will complete the marriage license information on the Marriage Kiosk located on the computers in the clerk’s office.
- Once completed, staff will ask for your identification and will review the license information with you.
- It takes about 30 minutes for the license to be issued.
There are two different types of marriage licenses in California, and they can be obtained in two different ways.
Confidential Marriage License and a Public Marriage License:
- A “public” California marriage license is a marriage license that is available to the public for viewing.
- A “confidential” marriage license allows all the personal information on a marriage license to be protected from public view. Only a court order or a notarized application by either spouses can obtain a copy of the information.
The following information is required on a marriage license application.
For both spouses, or party A and party B, the information needed for marriage license requirements is below.
- A valid driver’s license or a DMV issued Identification Card. If you do not have either of these, you must provide a certified copy of your birth certificate and another acceptable form of picture I.D.
- To obtain a Confidential Marriage License, party A and party B must be living together as a married couple. The same I.D. requirements as mentioned above are applicable.
Marriage ID Requirement California: ✔ Get Copy Of Birth Certificate
A valid photo I.D. with birth date is required (e.g., drivers license, military I.D., passport, or green card, etc.)
Marriage Waiting Period Requirement California:
There is no waiting period. You will receive your marriage license immediately after you submit your application.
Marriage Residency Requirement California:
You do not need to be a California resident to marry in San Luis Obispo County.
If either party was previously married, or had a registered domestic partnership with someone other than the other party, a certified copy of the final dissolution papers is required if the dissolution was granted within last 90 days, otherwise the date of the dissolution is sufficient.
Marriage License Fee California:
It will cost you $100 (fee subject to change) for a public license and $100 (fee subject to change) for a confidential license. Preferred method of payment is by cash. For guidance on additional methods of payment, please call ahead.
Proxy Marriages California:
Marriage by proxy is NOT allowed in California. Family Code, Section 420(a), requires the two parties, marriage officiant and witness if applicable be physically present together in the same location for the marriage to be performed.
Cousin Marriages California:
Yes. First and second cousins may legally marry in California.
Common Law Marriages California:
Marriage Blood Test California:
Blood tests are NOT required to obtain a marriage license in California.
Name Change California:
Getting a marriage license with your new name on it does not mean your name has automatically changed. If you need to change your last name, you can use an online marriage name change kit.
Marriage Age Requirement California: ✔ Get Copy Of Birth Certificate
If either party is under 18, you must contact the Clerk of Superior Court at 805.781.5243 prior to coming to this office.
Marriage Officiants: » Affordable California Wedding Officiants
California Family Code, Section 400 states the persons authorized to solemnize marriage ceremonies in California are as follows:
A priest, minister, or rabbi of any religious denomination.
A judge or retired judge, commissioner of civil marriages or retired commissioner of civil marriages, commissioner or retired commissioner, or assistant commissioner of a court of record in this state.
A judge or magistrate who has resigned from office.
Any of the following judges or magistrates of the United States.
A justice or retired justice of the United States Supreme Court.
A judge or retired judge of a court of appeals, a district court, or a court created by an act of Congress the judges of which are entitled to hold office during good behavior.
A judge or retired judge of a bankruptcy court or a tax court.
A United States magistrate or retired magistrate.
A legislator or constitutional officer of this state or a member of Congress who represents a district within this state, while that person holds office.
The person solemnizing the marriage must return the original marriage license to the County Clerk or County Recorder as applicable within 10 days of the date of the ceremony. Addresses should be on the county site.
You will NOT receive a copy of your marriage license after you have been married unless you request and pay for a certified copy from the County Clerk or County Recorder as applicable.
ALL information on the marriage license MUST be legible, unambiguous and reproducible. DO NOT change any information on the license, cross out information, use white out, etc., as that will require the payment for and issuance of a duplicate marriage license. Contact the County Clerk’s Office if you have questions about completing the marriage license and/or incorrect information contained on the marriage license.
Deputy For a Day Program:
This allows a person of the couples choice to be appointed as a Deputy Commissioner of Civil Marriages for the purpose of performing the wedding ceremony.
- The person requesting to become a Deputy Commissioner, prior to being issued the oath, must present payment for the fee and a letter that includes the following information:
- Full Name, address, and phone number.
- Full names of both parties to the marriage.
- Date of marriage ceremony
Marriage Witnesses California:
The public marriage license requires the signature of one witness,
and if desired, has a place for an additional witness. No more than two
witnesses may sign on the public marriage license. Only one signature
per line is allowed. No witnesses may sign on the confidential marriage
Expiration Date of Marriage License California:
- Marriage licenses are valid for 90 days from the date of issuance. If you do
not get married within 90 days, the license will no longer be valid. You must
purchase a new license.
- Public Marriage License can be used throughout the state of California.
- Confidential Marriage License can only be used in the county where purchased.
California birth, death, fetal death, still birth, marriage and divorce records are maintained by the California Department of Public Health Vital Records.
Please Note: State and county marriage license requirements often change. The above information is for guidance only and should not be regarded as legal advice. For more information regarding California marriage license laws please visit www.slocounty.ca.gov.