Ventura Marriage License, CA
Public license Fee: $98
Confidential License Fee: $109
Hall of Administration, Main Plaza
800 So. Victoria Ave.
Ventura, CA 93009
Appointments Highly Recommended:
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. / M – F
(except for Court Approved Holidays)
Local Wedding Officiants for your wedding or vow renewal ceremony. Submit one form to top-rated marriage officiants in your locality. You choose the best Wedding Officiant.
Ask a Lawyer Online Now! 24 Lawyers Are Online. Ask a Question, Get an Answer ASAP.
Marriage licenses can be obtained at the County Government Center in Ventura at the County Clerk’s Office. Appointments are highly recommended. Please call 805.654.2263 to schedule an appointment.
- Before a marriage license can be issued, First Person and Second Person must bring in a valid photo I.D. (e.g., drivers license, military I.D., passport, or green card, etc.)
If you require any special accommodations due to a disability, please contact our office beforehand so we can assist you with your request.
- You can also download and complete a Marriage License Application.
- Both parties have to be present.
- Online Marriage License Applications are now available. When you have COMPLETED your online application and received your reference number, both parties will have to go to the County Government Center in Ventura at the office of the County Clerk and Recorder’s Office, Hall of Administration, Main Plaza, 800 S. Victoria Avenue, Ventura CA 93009-1260, in order to obtain your marriage license.
- Your Internet Online Application will only be kept on file 10 business days from the date submitted to the Clerk and Recorder’s office.
There are two different types of marriage licenses in California, and they can be obtained in two different ways.
Confidential Marriage License and a Public Marriage License:
- A “public” California marriage license is a marriage license that is available to the public for viewing.
- A “confidential” marriage license allows all the personal information on a marriage license to be protected from public view. Only a court order or a notarized application by either spouses can obtain a copy of the information.
The following information is required on a marriage license application.
For both spouses, or party A and party B, the information needed for marriage license requirements is below.
- A valid driver’s license or a DMV issued Identification Card. If you do not have either of these, you must provide a certified copy of your birth certificate and another acceptable form of picture I.D.
- To obtain a Confidential Marriage License, party A and party B must be living together as a married couple. The same I.D. requirements as mentioned above are applicable.
Marriage ID Requirement:
A valid photo I.D. is required (e.g., drivers license, military I.D., passport, or green card, etc.)
Marriage Waiting Period in California:
There is no waiting period. You will receive your marriage license immediately after you submit your application.
Marriage Residency Requirement:
You do not need to be a California resident to marry in Ventura County.
If you have been married before, you will need to know the specific date your last marriage ended, and how it ended (Death, Dissolution, Divorce or Nullity). Some counties may require a copy of the final judgment if your previous marriage ended by dissolution or nullity.
Marriage License Fees:
It will cost you $98 for a marriage license payable by cash, check, or credit card. Additional fees may be required for any special processing.
Marriage by proxy is NOT allowed in California. Family Code, Section 420(a), requires the two parties, marriage officiant and witness if applicable be physically present together in the same location for the marriage to be performed.
Common Law Marriages:
Marriage Blood Test California:
Blood tests are NOT required to obtain a marriage license in California.
Getting a marriage license with your new name on it does not mean your name has automatically changed. If you need to change your last name, you can use an online marriage name change kit.
Marriage Age Requirements: ✔ Get Copy Of Birth Certificate
Person(s) under the age of 18 will need to contact the Youth Services Center regarding requirements.
Youth Services Center (805) 981-9200
1911 Williams Drive
Oxnard, CA 93030
Youth Services Center (805) 582-8032
3855 Alamo Street, Suite F
Simi Valley, CA 93063
Person(s) under the age of 18 must also have parental and judicial consent to marry. Minor marriage applications are filed in the Superior Court. If approved, the couple will present a certified copy of the court order authorizing them to marry to the County Clerk at the time the marriage license is issued.
Marriage Officiants: » Affordable California Wedding Officiants
California Family Code, Section 400 states the persons authorized to solemnize marriage ceremonies in California are as follows:
A priest, minister, or rabbi of any religious denomination.
A judge or retired judge, commissioner of civil marriages or retired commissioner of civil marriages, commissioner or retired commissioner, or assistant commissioner of a court of record in this state.
A judge or magistrate who has resigned from office.
Any of the following judges or magistrates of the United States.
A justice or retired justice of the United States Supreme Court.
A judge or retired judge of a court of appeals, a district court, or a court created by an act of Congress the judges of which are entitled to hold office during good behavior.
A judge or retired judge of a bankruptcy court or a tax court.
A United States magistrate or retired magistrate.
A legislator or constitutional officer of this state or a member of Congress who represents a district within this state, while that person holds office.
The person solemnizing the marriage must return the original marriage license to the County Clerk or County Recorder as applicable within 10 days of the date of the ceremony. Addresses should be on the county site.
You will NOT receive a copy of your marriage license after you have been married unless you request and pay for a certified copy from the County Clerk or County Recorder as applicable.
ALL information on the marriage license MUST be legible, unambiguous and reproducible. DO NOT change any information on the license, cross out information, use white out, etc., as that will require the payment for and issuance of a duplicate marriage license. Contact the County Clerk’s Office if you have questions about completing the marriage license and/or incorrect information contained on the marriage license.
The public marriage license requires the signature of one witness,
and if desired, has a place for an additional witness. No more than two
witnesses may sign on the public marriage license. Only one signature
per line is allowed. No witnesses may sign on the confidential marriage
Expiration Date of Marriage License:
- Marriage licenses are valid for 90 days from the date of issuance. If you do
not get married within 90 days, the license will no longer be valid. You must
purchase a new license.
- Public Marriage License can be used throughout the state of California.
- Confidential Marriage License can be used throughout the state of California (Effective January 1, 2015).
California birth, death, fetal death, still birth, marriage and divorce records are maintained by the California Department of Public Health Vital Records.
Please Note: State and county marriage license requirements often change. The above information is for guidance only and should not be regarded as legal advice. For more information regarding California marriage license laws please visit www.recorder.countyofventura.org.