County Test Page
Georgia Code Title 19. Domestic Relations Chapter 3. Marriage Generally
Marriage License Fees:$56 – wo/ Premarital Ed.
+ $20 Certified copy
$16 – w/ Premarital Ed.
+ $20 Certified copy
1601 Barnesville St.
Zebulon, GA 30295
8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., closed 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. / M – F
(except for Court Approved Holidays)
Ask a Lawyer Online Now! 24 Lawyers Are Online. Ask a Question, Get an Answer ASAP.
Marriage Application Requirement Georgia:✔
To complete the application for a marriage license, a couple must:
Things to bring and know on the marriage license application…
- ID for each Applicant
- If either applicant does not speak fluent English a Court Approved Translator will be required to apply for Marriage License.
- Certified Copies of Divorce Papers if you have been Married
- Certified Copy of Death Certificate if you are Widowed
- Parents Birth Place (City and State)
- Mother’s Maiden Name
- The Bride’s full name after Marriage
- Date and place of marriage
- Application fee is $56 without pre-marital counseling.
- Application fee is $16 with pre-marital counseling (must bring certificate of completion of course).
Be sure to contact your local Pike County Probate Court well in advance of the wedding to find out on what days and during what hours the Clerk will be in the office. Some locales may require an appointment.
Marriage ID Requirement Georgia:
- Drivers License
- State ID
- Resident Alien ID
- Military ID
Marriage Waiting Period Georgia:
There is no waiting period for getting married in the State of Georgia.
Marriage Residency Requirement Georgia:
You do not have to be a resident of Georgia.
If either applicant has received a divorce, he, she or both must show a copy of the final judgment and decree of most recent divorce. It must show the judge’s signature and date divorce was granted (19-3-2 (3)).
Marriage License Fees Georgia:
The fees for obtaining a marriage license in Pike County are $56 without Premarital Education completed. $16 with Premarital Education. There is a $10 charge for the certified copy of the marriage license, which is mailed to the applicants after recording, and a $10 fee for the certified copy of the license application for the Social Security Administration. (Please see GA code 19-3-30.1); the certificate must be signed and dated.
Proxy Marriages Georgia:
Cousin Marriages Georgia:
Yes. First and second cousins may legally marry in Georgia.
Common Law Marriages Georgia:
No. However, common-law marriages will be recognized in Georgia if it was created before January 1, 1997.
Marriage Blood Test Georgia:
As of July 1, 2003, blood tests were no longer required in Georgia.
It is important that you verify all information with your local Pike County Probate Court before making a trip to purchase your marriage license.
Name After Marriage:
Georgia law requires each applicant to designate the legal surname he or she will use after marriage. The applicant may choose:
- His or her present surname.
- The surname of a previous marriage.
- Spouse’s surname.
- A surname as provided in line item 1 or 2 of this paragraph in conjunction with the surname of the other spouse (19-3-33.1 (b)).
Getting a marriage license with your new name on it does not mean your name has automatically changed. If you need to change your last name, you can use an online marriage name change kit.
Marriage Age Requirements Georgia: ✔
- Both applicants must be 18 years of age or older to apply for a marriage license without parental consent. Proof of age must be presented by every applicant who does not appear to the judge or clerk to be at least 25 years of age.
- If either applicant is 16 or 17 years of age, a license may be issued only with the written consent of the parent or parents of the underage applicant. No license may be issued if either applicant is under the age of 16.
- As of July 1, 2006, the pregnancy of a female applicant no longer authorizes the issuance of a license to a 16 or 17 year old without consent.
Marriage Proof of Age Georgia: ✔ Get Copy Of Birth Certificate
Georgia law requires proof of age be presented at the time of making application. By law, acceptable proof of age is any of the following:
- Birth certificate.
- Driver’s license.
- Baptismal certificate.
- Certificate of birth registration.
- Selective service card.
- Court record.
- Iimmigration papers
- Alien papers.
- Citizenship papers.
- Armed forces discharge papers
- Armed forces identification card
- Hospital admission card — containing the full name and date of birth (19-3-36).
Marriage Officiants Georgia:
Licensed or ordained ministers, clergymen, or pastors of recognized religious societies, and justices of the peace. >[the_ad id="38147"]
Marriage Witnesses Georgia:
Only if the person performing the ceremony does not complete the form, you will need two witnesses to the ceremony in order to obtain the marriage certificate.
Expiration Date of Marriage License Georgia:
The Georgia marriage license does not have an expiration date.
Apply online today here! Georgia Probate Record website will allow you to apply for your Marriage License online!
2600 Skyland Drive NE
Atlanta, GA 30319-3640
Please Note: State and county marriage license requirements often change. The above information is for guidance only and should not be regarded as legal advice. For more information regarding Georgia marriage license laws please visit the Pike County Probate Court website.