Affordable Wedding Officiants

Marriage Laws U.S. PA Pennsylvania Wedding Officiants

Pennsylvania local wedding officiants specializing in all types of weddings. Submit single form to local Pennsylvania wedding officiants. You choose the best Pennsylvania wedding officiant.

Ask a Lawyer Online Now! 24 Lawyers Are Online. Ask a Question, Get an Answer ASAP.

Here's what you need to know and what documents to bring with you before you apply for a marriage license in the city of Philadelphia. We recommend getting this legal aspect of your wedding out of the way about a month before your ceremony date.

It is important that you verify all information with the city of Philadelphia Register of Wills office before making any wedding or travel plans.

Philadelphia Marriage License Bureau
Register of Wills
Broad & Market Streets
City Hall Rm. 415
Philadelphia, PA 19107
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. / M, T, Th, F;
8:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m. / W
$80 cash or money order.
Closed for holidays.

Don't wait until the last minute to locate an officiant for your wedding or vow renewal ceremony. Submit one form to local Pennsylvania officiants. You choose the best PA wedding officiant.

Ask a Lawyer Online Now! 24 Lawyers Are Online. Ask a Question, Get an Answer ASAP.

City of Philadelphia Marriage License

  1. The fee for a marriage license is $80.00*, payable by cash or money order. Checks and credit cards are NOT accepted.

  2. Both applicants must appear together in Room 413 City Hall to apply for the marriage license.

  3. The marriage license will issue on the third day following application and is valid for only sixty (60) days from the issue date that appears on the license. If the license is not used within the 60 day period, the marriage license must be returned and the application process must be repeated in its entirety and the fee re-paid.

  4. The marriage license can be used in any county in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania; however, a PA license cannot be used out-of-state.

  5. Applicants must produce the following identification: a CURRENT, VALID PHOTO I.D. in the form of either a driver’s license; non-driver’s license; international driver’s license; passport; military I.D.; resident alien card or consulate card AND a Social Security card or any other form of I.D. issued by an official entity which reflects the applicant’s Social Security number (i.e. Social Security printout; pay stub; W-2 form; income tax return; prescription card; access card etc.). If an applicant does NOT possess a Social Security number he/she must produce a Secondary I.D. in the form of a birth certificate (officially translated, if appropriate); or any other form of I.D. issued by an official entity, in addition to the above-noted current, valid photo I.D. NO APPLICATIONS WILL BE TAKEN WITHOUT THESE DOCUMENTS.

  6. If either applicant was previously married, proof of dissolution of the latest marriage must be submitted at the time of application. A widowed applicant must submit a certified copy of the death certificate of the deceased spouse. A divorced applicant must provide a certified copy of the most recent divorce decree. If either of the foregoing documents is not written in English it must be translated to English and the translation must be certified to be correct.

  7. If an applicant has had a legal name change the certified decree of the court ordering this change must be presented at the time of application.

  8. If either of the applicants is a MINOR between the ages of sixteen and seventeen, the minor’s parent or legal guardian must appear at the time the application is made. If the minor is fifteen years of age or younger, the Court must authorize the issuance of the license. The parent/ guardian must prove his/her relationship to the minor by submitting current, valid photo I.D. If the parent/ guardian resides outside this jurisdiction, the office will supply the necessary consent form at an * additional fee of $10.00 per minor.

  9. The Marriage License Bureau is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 A.M. until 4:00 P.M. Wednesday hours are from 8:30 A.M. until 7:30 P.M. Please schedule your arrival no later than one-half hour before closing time to allow for processing.

  10. ∗ Additional Fees:

    • Quaker/ Self-Uniting License $90.00
    • Lost License $10.00

  11. If either applicant cannot speak or understand English, he/ she must be accompanied by a translator who possesses current, valid photo I.D.



Proxy Marriages in Pennsylvania:


Cousin Marriages in Pennsylvania:

No. See Pennsylvania Statutes, Title 23, Chapter 13, § 1304, section (e) for more information.

Common-Law Marriages:

No. However, your common-law marriage will be recognized in Pennsylvania if it was created before January 1, 2005.

Same Sex Marriages:

Yes. Same-sex marriage in Pennsylvania became legal on May 20, 2014, when a U.S. federal district court judge ruled that the states' 1996 statutory ban on recognising same-sex marriage was unconstitutional.

Copy of Certificate of Marriage:

101 South Mercer St., Room 401
P.O. Box 1528
New Castle, PA 16101
Phone: (724) 656-3100

In Pennsylvania copies of marriage records were required to be filed starting in 1885. Copies of these marriages may be obtained from the courthouse in the county where the marriage license was issued. There are three types of marriage records available. The first is a plain copy of the marriage record which is typically for family genealogy records or personal use. The second (one-seal) and third type (triple-seal) are for official purposes and used by the persons named in the records. Order Copies of Records Online

After 1906, all birth and death records are stored in the Vital Record Division of the Pennsylvania Department of Health.

It is important that you verify all information with your Clerk of Orphans' Court before making any wedding or travel plans.

Please Note: State and county marriage license requirements often change. The above information is for guidance only and should not be regarded as legal advice.

To notify us of corrections or additions send an email to

Find local Pennsylvania wedding officiants for your wedding or vow renewal ceremony. Submit one form to Pennsylvania local wedding officiants. You choose the best officiant.

Ask a Lawyer Online Now! 24 Lawyers Are Online. Ask a Question, Get an Answer ASAP.

Order Vital Records Online! certified copies of Birth, Death, Marriage, and Divorce certificates, for events which occurred within the state of Pennsylvania.

Local Officiants | Local Wedding Officiants | Chicago Wedding Officiants | Illinois Officiants| NJ Officiants

All Ceremonies | New York Wedding Officiants | USA Wedding Officiants | NY Wedding Officiants

Wedding Officiants Directory    Local Officiants Lists!    Ceremony Wedding Officiants

© 2014